What I believe



I believe in God, my Father, my Almighty, the Ancient of Days. I believe in Genesis 1:1. I believe that everything is possible with Him through Him. I believe He has marked me as His. I believe that all my sins melted off with the grace of forgiveness when I was baptized as an adult. I believe my life began anew that day as the sins of my past were washed away.

I believe in Jesus Christ the only son of the Father. I believe Jesus left the majesty and glory of Heaven to suffer the indignity of humanness. I believe Jesus suffered for my sins and through his death I am forgiven. I believe that Jesus conquered death and evil by rising from the dead. I believe the Shroud of Turin is real.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, my guide, God who dwells within me, who gives me strength and now leads and teaches me.

I believe in forgiveness of sins, that all life is precious regardless of quality, intellect, age or wholeness. I believe that everyone and everything has a divine purpose, I believe in the sanctity of life at any age. I believe that God condemns those who take advantage of the poor. I believe that I cannot divorce my religion from my relationships. I believe true religion should result in righteous acts. I believe that God requires not only personal righteousness but also social responsibility. I believe in anonymous acts.

I believe that the Bible is true and God breathed, II Timothy 3:16. I believe that God will come again to judge all mankind. I believe in salvation, forgiveness of sins and life ever lasting.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Derby Week and the 137th running of the Kentucky Oaks

Nothing says Louisville, Kentucky quite like Derby Week. This year I was surprised with tickets to Churchill Downs for the day of racing known at the Kentucky Oaks. This first Friday in May has been a tradition for It is actually a misnomer since the Oaks is only one race of the day. But to any native Louisvilian "the Oaks" is the best place to be this side of Heaven.

The Kentucky Oaks is considered by some to be among the most popular horse races in American horse-racing society due to its high attendance. With a purse of 1 Million, this isn't just another race.

Believe it or not it's not just about horse racing, it's about the hat and if ya'll are planning on visiting for the Oaks - please be prepared, you can wear any color as long as it is PINK . Pink hats, dresses, shoes, for the ladies, and yes even Pink for the guys, Pink jackets, bow ties or fedoras are the rule. It is also neat to see how one race can make huge differences outside of horse racing and Kentucky. Churchill Downs contributes $1 for every Oaks attendee to Susan G. Komen for the Cure and $1 for every Oaks Lily® beverage sold to Horses and Hope. In 2010, Churchill Downs contributed more than $116,000 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure and $30,000 to Horses and Hope.

Another wonderful tradition is the Garland of Lilies this is a handmade blanket of lilies crafted for the winning filly. Hence the name for the race Lilies for the Fillies.

The Star Gazer Lily was a perfect choice for the garland, chosen for its femininity and strength. An amazing 133 lilies are hand sewn onto a white moire fabric backing with a fleur-de-lis pattern. Folks in Louisville can view the lily garland at a local Kroger store the evening before the race.

Another component if you will is the Official drink of the "Oaks"
The Oaks Lily® ingredients include:
  • 1 oz. Vodka
  • 1 oz. Sweet and Sour Mix
  • 3 oz. Cranberry Juice
  • Splash of Triple Sec
Shake well and pour over ice and you have a wonderful concoction that resembles the Stargazer Lily. Hummmmm

I will post more as the week continues. But check out the web for the Kentucky Derby, the Oaks and Louisville.


No comments:

Post a Comment